Thursday, August 16, 2012

Patient Problem Solvers

The theme in my classroom for this year is "Patient Problem Solvers" which I took from Dan Meyer's presentation on the need for reform in math instruction in the US. The video is about 12 minutes and will probably bore most of you (unless you're a huge math nerd like I am and believe strongly in the need to move away from standardized tests and move back to actually teaching math and problem solving). If you like the video and want to hear or see more from Dan Meyer this is a link to his blog.


I was lucky enough to find that owls are incredibly popular right now (in both fashion and teacher supply stores) and there is no better classroom mascot to represent my desire for my students to leave my classroom wiser than how they entered.

Our school has a wonderfully talented retired art teacher that frequently subs at our site. I contacted her, showed her some cute owl stickers I had purchased and let her know that my classroom is decorated in blues, greens, and yellows. I dropped off some butcher paper to her last week and here is her masterpiece!


And as far as the fashion goes I have to ask for you to be patient there as well! Wednesday and Thursday (yesterday and today) of this week we were required to wear spirit t-shirts which are neither fashionable or exciting. I did jazz up my outfits by adding cute flats and my zebra belt yesterday and my royal blue/kelly green belt today. I didn't, however, feel they were blog worthy! So stay tuned for an outfit tomorrow which is our first official day with students attending all their classes.

1 comment: