Thursday, August 9, 2012

DIY Terrariums

About a month ago I found this awesome DIY project from Mrs. Hahn Daydreams and I have been dreaming about it ever since! I'm terrible with plants and have only managed to keep one plant alive in my entire life...it was a housewarming present from my sister c/o IKEA which means before living with me it lived in a giant indoor warehouse with no natural sunlight or fresh air. I think this is the only reason it is still alive.

The terrarium from the above link is beautiful in a gorgeous glass bowl with a variety of succulents. I liked the idea of succulents (maybe I won't kill them??) but found colorful metal pails for $1 each at Target that seem more 7th grade classroom friendly. I could picture glass shattering within the first week so I came up with something a little less chic but more my speed as far as caring for plants goes.

Inspiration Terrarium

My Version


I made a total of six of these with different plants in each one. The succulents are surrounded by white beans which was an idea I found while flipping through a magazine at my sister's house. I'm not sure how they'll work out as part of me remembers a science experiment when I was in elementary school that involved planting beans like this and watching them sprout. Who knows, maybe if the succulents die I'll have a garden of white beans!

This photo is very poor in quality but it shows the pails in each of my windows. I'm looking forward to trying to keep these cute little guys alive!




1 comment:

  1. I'm curious how they're doing now. I doubt I could have kept them alove for a whole week. I'm betting you're doing a little better.

    ReplyDelete