Sunday, January 6, 2013

DIY: Daily Calendar (and have an awesome rest of your school year)

This is a Pinterest-inspired gift I made this holiday season for some of my coworkers, my sister, my mom, and also for our house. I love the idea of taking a moment each day to write down something that happened that day whether it be some momentous occasion or just something you're grateful for that day.


As 2012 drew to a close I realized that I have so much to be thankful for and I know that I don't recognize enough the blessings in my life from the people I'm lucky enough to call friends and family, to my beautiful home, stable job, and my awesome cat! I'd like to take a moment to find the good moments that each day holds ("Everyday may not be good but there is good in every day." Thank you Jen!) and record it. I hope it will serve as a daily reminder to be thankful and to find awesomeness in each day.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story." Barney Stinson

I couldn't find any of the berry baskets used in the inspiration pin (original directions here) but found some small white boxes at Michael's that fit 3 inch cards perfectly. I purchased 4x6 ruled index cards and stole the paper cutter from school one night, ok, I actually asked permission, otherwise it would've taken an eternity to cut all those cards by hand with a pair of scissors. In total I made 6 of these sets so here comes so math:
6 sets x 366 days = 2196 cards needed
2196/2 = 1098 cards needed (each large index card was cut in half)
So I purchased 12 packages of 100-cards (extras just in case)
Instead of vintage postcards I purchased scrap-booking paper and card stock. I used spray glue to adhere the paper to the card stock, then cut those on the paper cutter too.

Top Left: Supplies (Aleen's Tacky Spray Glue and Diet Coke were absolutely necessary items)
Top Right: Divider cards made with scrap book paper, spray glue, and card stock
Bottom: Finished product

The last and longest step was to add the dates to all the cards. I decided to purchase metallic pens and hand-write the dates instead of using a stamper. In all I think it probably took close to two hours to create each complete set.

Have an awesome return to school for all the teachers out there! And if your school day is lame, just stop letting it be lame and be awesome instead...

3 comments:

  1. That's cute! I read about something like that on a parenting blog before Pinterest and have a spiral journal marked with every day that I've sporadically written down a golden nugget from the mouth of Emberly. I should pull it back out and get in the habit again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the teachers I made this for stopped my on Monday (the first day back from break) and told me that he absolutely loves doing the calendar with his two young sons. I think it will be such a treasure for you to look at that journal when they're off at college.

      Delete