Sunday, December 30, 2012

DIY: Wedding Dress Pendant

I am attempting to become more crafty and thanks to my devotion to Pinterest I spent some quality time during my break from school creating home-made gifts for my coworkers, family, and a very special present for my husband.

I had seen this beautiful pendant on Etsy and was instantly in love. You send a small piece of your wedding dress to this jewelry maker and she creates a necklace charm for you and puts it on a beautiful sterling silver chain. The price was a little out of my budget so I decided that I would try to recreate this look myself.

YOUR Wedding Lace Custom Sterling Silver Necklace and Pendant Bridal Gift

A quick trip to Michael's was all it took to find the perfect locket-style pendant and a matching chain. Both items were $5.99 at full price but were on sale for 30%. I also had a coupon for an additional 40% off one item. In total the cost to make my necklace was less than $8 as I already had the findings (jump rings, lobster clasps, and jewelry pliers).

Pendant from Michael's $5.99 full price
It took awhile to find a place on my dress where I could cut a piece of lace without it showing...you know, I'm totally planning on wearing that thing again and/or I'm sure should I ever have daughter she will definitely want to wear it so it really can't have a giant missing square of lace. I eventually found an inside seam that had just enough lace peeking through that I could cut a swatch large enough to fill the pendant. I decided that since this charm is clear on both sides, I also wanted a piece of the beautiful tie my husband wore at our wedding. I cut off the extra piece of fabric on the back of the tie that is used to hold the little end. Below is the finished product! 

lace from my wedding dress

fabric from groom's tie
My husband absolutely loved this gift and said it is his favorite thing he has ever received! I love you honey!
Beautiful Photo from our wedding photographer Courtney Aaron



2 comments:

  1. Love the pendant and love the pic! I remember that day well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easily my new favorite piece of jewelry. It goes with everything and it tells an awesome story!

    ReplyDelete